Sunday, October 26, 2008

The good kind of drama

This has been an interesting year. It’s come to an end so soon and still I feel like at some point it just wouldn’t end. I arrived on campus and the first thing I did was fall over my bag in front of a whole lot of people. Now I feel like I’m still recovering from the bruises I got that day and here I am, almost at the end of that journey that caused me to fall.

I’ve managed to accomplish quiet a lot this year. First I found it really awkward relating to people and making friends. I’d been in England all of last year and my friendships there had formed so quickly and so deeply. Here I actually had to work at finding the right type of friends, friends that I would want to keep for the rest of my life. It’s probably my age that had me standing back and not so willing to give myself to any friendship that came along. High school was full of fickle friends and after a gap year in which one fiends maturity, you realise that there’s more to life than being able to hang out in a large group of back stabbing friends.

No, I’m not cynical, just responsible. I’m responsible for my life and everything I allow in and out of it. I’m also responsible for my friends, and how much value I add to our friendships. It’s so much easier to add value to ten true friendships that will last beyond first year and university than it would be cultivating 50 friendships that will end as soon as you close down your facebook account.

I wish I’d learned this lesson in high school. I could have been saved from so much drama. I look back now as I’m almost at the end of first year and I’m glad to say that the only dram I’ve had is between me and my subject choices; the good kind of drama.

No comments: