Thursday, October 16, 2008

I will trust in the Lord

Last week Thursday night I finally had time to read Activate, and the article about the muggings at the Drama department had me a little scared, perhaps even very scared. I had to go to the Jacaranda labs to type an assignment but it was a few minutes to midnight and suddenly the thought of walking all the way to the labs had me sweating.

Now, I'm a Joburg girl and I don't scare easily, but I love Joburg and I want to go back in one piece, with no scars or trauma. It appears as if I do scare easily or could it just be that our campus is not safe and I should be scared along with the rest of campus?I don't have an answer to that but the Activate article gave a pathetic comment from CPU about how our safety should be a priority. Now I'm sure they said more than that, but it seems to me that our student journalism is failing to answer the "so what" question we were taught to answer when writing a hard news story. Perhaps I should mention this to the news editors, seeing as I do write for the paper.

Whether they (Activate or CPU) give adequate advice or not, I still found myself sweating at the prospect of walking to the labs alone at night. I don't have the luxury of a contract phone that allows me to call CPU with limitless airtime because I need someone to hold my hand in the dark. No, I've been given a limitless ability to walk and a Salvation that promises me that God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of love, of power and a sound mind. Institutions are failing to protect this campus and the country so I have only one hope: to trust in the Lord.

No comments: